Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Phase 8

-Did you learn what you hoped to learn about the topic?

Yes, I discovered a lot about all the different angles on this topic and probably more about the issue than I even thought I would learn about.

-What were some of the benefits/drawbacks of focusing on a topic in phases?

It helped me to look at the topic from several viewpoints and it also helped to work on the research in blocks, so that each time I came back to work on a new phase, I could face it with a clear mind.

-Do you think you will approach the way you learn about the topics you are interested in differently after this assignment?

Well, I still have same initial opinion as before I started, but the dynamics of it have changed since my research. For instance, I firmly believed that special education students should at most times be geared towards inclusion in schools. It wasn't until after my research that I realized all of the negative factors of inclusion that teachers and schools are still dealing with, and how many programs need to be changed in how they carry out their definition of inclusion.

-Has this assignment made you more confident about your ability to discuss topics with others?
Yes. Although there is still a lot to learn about it, I do feel like I have noteworthy input on this issue that I did not have before (and which I can be confident in, since I know my information comes from credible sources).

-What is the most valuable thing you have learned about research after doing this assignment?

The most valuable part was learning how to summarize sources and then reflect on them. I have struggled in the past with trying to respond to articles but it is so much easier to do after I have already summarized the entire article. It helps me to pick apart the main points and conclusions without missing key details or misrepresenting the author's view.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found the summaries helpful as you formulated your responses. It definitely makes sense that you are finding well-rounded responses easier to come by now that you're reading the sources in depth.

    The answer to question three took a slightly different direction than I anticipated. I was trying to establish which research skills or habits you've developed that might change the way you think about topics in the future.

    Overall, I've enjoyed reading your blog. I think you've done a great job developing it at a scholarly level, and I've seen you be conscious to explore many different angles of the topic. Thanks for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete